Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Dìas Màs Tranquilos (Low-key Days)

Tuesday January 18

We have been sticking close to home after such a busy week. It rained and stormed Sunday night and it has been SO nice and cool ever since. I think it has been in the 70s (F) because I was comfortable in jeans both yesterday and today. Ivanna said it was 46 (C) on Saturday, which would be about 114 (F). Woah! It sure felt like it. Tomorrow’s forcast says 95 (F) so the cool days after the storm are over until next time. It looks like it is supposed to storm again on Thursday and then be in the 80s (F) for a few days. I can handle that much better than over 100 (F).

On Saturday night we milanesa again (like I mentioned before, see photo) and then went out to La Cubana, a bar where there is salsa dancing. The dancers there were extremely talented but we tried to join in anyway.


I met Ivanna’s friend Sami and we tried to salsa (see photo) but neither of us knew what we were doing. I ended up talking quite a while with Fabio, a friend of a friend who happened to sit

by us. He didn’t know any English but was very patient as I tried to explain things. It’s much easier to just listen because I understand more that way. It was also quite loud as we were close to the speakers, but I think I managed OK. In the photos were were trying to pose, but we didn't communicate very when when to smile and when to look serious. We headed home around 4:30am.























Sunday I slept until 1pm, got up to help the girls finish cleaning the house (her parents were due home soon from visiting family), and then ate tamales with Jimena’s family. After lunch Ivanna and I took a 2 hour siesta. We got up close to the time we should have left for church, but showered again instead since it was so hot. I also talked with my parents and brothers on Skype for about 30 minutes making us even later leaving.

We had to take a bus across town and one finally came after about 25 minutes. Aftergetting off we still had to walk about 10 blocks. We entered the church as they were praying to end the service. OOPS! They had shortened the service since many people are gone on vacation or home because of the heat. Other than the Borstad four and 3 Roberts, there were about 10 other people there. We stayed a while to chat and help move the chairs back inside. It was the first time I’d seen the new church. They were just finishing the purchase when I was here in 2006. After we left, we had ice cream with the Roberts.

Monday we stayed at home and watched Centurion. Most of Ivanna’s movies are in English with Spanish subtitles, which is good practice for her but too easy for me. Ivanna’s mom made a great pasta dish for lunch (that we also ate for dinner). I had class again and then around 9 after it was dark Ivanna and I walked to the park where people excercise. We ran around the block 5 times. My tutor Paulina said that all the blocks in Tucumàn are 100 meters square, so that means we ran 20 blocks or 2,000 meters (1.2 miles). It seemed like a lot further, but I really don’t run much and usually only on a tredmill, which helps you run quite a bit. Hopefully we’ll go again while it’s cool enough to excercise.

Today also has been pretty calm. Ivanna left around 7am to take care of Zane while Beth and David have class. They’ve been on vacation until now. She retured around 6pm. I worked on homework quite a bit but also learned how to cook a couple things (goal #3). Ivanna’s mom Liliana showed me how to make tortilla espanola. The main ingredient is french fries. It’s make like a large omlet with onions, peppers, and eggs. I also watched her prepare the beef mix and the chicken mix for empanadas. It is a very long process because she cooked the meat yesterday and cut it up. Today she simmered the meat with the onions, peppers, paprika, and cumin. Tomorrow I believe she’ll make the dough and start wrapping them. She’s also making humita which I know has a lot of grated corn but I’m not sure what else yet. I helped shuck the corn (el choclo) today and tomorrow Liliana will make the rest. She really loves to cook and sometimes sells the food out her front window. She also sews clothes, curtains, etc, and knits. I will try to remember to take photos of the dishes once they are completed.

Eduardo (Edu, from the ice cream shop and the dance club) came over today just to hang out. We talked quite a bit (in castellano) while Ivanna was still gone. Later we all watched What Happens in Vegas and then played some cards. I taught Edu to play “golf” with cards. Later Edu left for a birthday party across town (yes, another birthday) and Zam (Sam, also from the dance club) came over for burgers. It’s 11pm so time for dinner J Tomorrow we are having breakfast downtown with Edu and then I have class 5 to 8. After than we’re going to a gathering at Laura’s house and then a birthday party. It will be a late night again, but not too late that we can’t take the bus home (around 12:30am).

No comments:

Post a Comment